At the beginning of the 18th century, the commune of Pauillac was covered with vineyards. At the time, Château Duhart-Milon was used to make the second wine of Château Lafite. Marquis Nicolas-Alexandre de Ségur owned Lafite and was considered the “Prince of Vines“ by King Louis XV. The Château is named for Sir Duhart, a pirate under Louis XV. He owned a house in Pauillac surrounded by vineyards, and that house was the inspiration behind the wine’s label. The quality of the wines at Château Duhart-Milon was classified as a 4ème Cru Classé in Pauillac in the 1855 classification. In 1937, the estate was one of the most important in Pauillac despite difficulties over the years. The estate went through five different owners in 25 years, and the vineyard was hit by a strong frost in 1956. The quality of the wines was on the decline until the Rothschild family acquired the property in 1962. After its purchase, they undertook essential works such as drainage, uprooting, replanting, land consolidation, and construction of new wine cellars and fermenting rooms, which allowed the vineyard to expand from 42 to 71 hectares from 1973 to 2001. The wine’s quality has been on the rise after several years of effort with excellent vintages.
Cabernet Sauvignon 67%